Sunday, October 16, 2005

sharing your marketable skills

The mall in Fort Wayne definitely has its share of stores stocking mini Zen garden kits, Feng Shui books, South Asian cloth, and all sorts of “world culture” goods. But when I walked in to grab some lunch today, I certainly wasn’t expecting to find a kiosk offering a traditional Indian hair removal technique.

Threading
is a hair removal technique that uses a cotton thread. The 100% cotton thread is twisted and rolled along the surface of the skin entwining the hairs in the thread, which are then lifted out from the follicle. It is said to be more precise than waxing.

My cousin was willing to submit her body for the experience, and I, along with several curious bystanders, were treated to a display of this simple, yet effective technique. I was thoroughly impressed. I commend whoever figured this out thousands of years ago, and I admire the entrepreneur who opened this little store selling the service for eight dollars a head.

I wish my culture had something so simple, brilliant, and easily marketable to share with the rest of the world. Oh, wait, I guess that’s the role “native English speaking” teachers fill in countries like Japan and China…

No comments: