Tuesday, November 8, 2005

bread and butter

Loaves of bread in Japan seem to come in about three varieties, the most popular being the square and white kind cut into your choice of five, six, or eight slices. What this slice count will not include, however, is ends. It has just dawned on me today that I have been eating bread that comes packaged without crusty ends for two years. And I am wondering, who eats the ends?

If Japan were an environmentally friendly or creative thinking country, I could imagine carbo-loaded cows in Hokkaido, or gifts to children who eat someone else’s leftover crusts. I could even imagine a dual production factory: bread and croutons. Alas, I would probably be better off hoping that at least the mice who raid the garbage bins at the bread factory aren’t picky with their sandwiches.

No comments: