Monday, June 5, 2006

the first goodbye

Yesterday the Family threw me a huge going away party. Family, friends, students, and teachers gathered on the roof of our house for a barbeque. Three grills loaded with meat, numerous bowls of noodles, beer, wine, m&m’s, kimchi, and home-baked bread all kept us happily fed and perfectly intoxicated.

I really appreciate everyone who came out to say goodbye. Although many of them gave me presents, I really felt like it should have been the other way around. Thanks to them, I have had a wonderful time in Japan. I have felt embraced by a family, welcomed like a long-lost friend, and respected as a teacher. I owe my good memories here to the people whom I have met along the way.

Specifically, I’d like to thank:

Sakura, for being the perfect mother away from home.
Kyonwha, for encouraging a healthy drinking habit.
Maya, for introducing me to Japanese mystery novels.
Naoko, for making the most delicious bread ever, and letting me eat it.
Sakie and Yuri, for being the two little sisters I never had.
Izumi, for being the most enthusiastic student I have ever had.
Tsuki, for teaching me about Japanese student life.
Hiro and Masa, for teaching me the importance of patience.
Masaaki, for being patient with me and my kanbun.
Mayako, for teaching me about frisbee dogs.
Bun and Masa, for taking over my lessons.
Junko, for practicing bartending on me.
Mayo, for introducing me to every kind of Japanese culture.
Kitano Sensei, for teaching me the koto.
Shirato Sensei, for sharing your wisdom.
Rhodes Sensei, for not having too many expectations.
Hiromi and Shiho, for instilling in me the desire to travel forever.

And to everyone else whose name I did not mention, thanks for supporting me during my time in Japan. I’m sure I couldn’t have done it without you.

Now I’m off to Vietnam!

No comments: