Monday, July 17, 2006

summer sun and a sugar high

The purpose of the roadtrip was to visit our friend Katie who lives in Minneapolis. Unfortunately, Katie’s house was having air conditioning issues, so exactly two minutes after we arrived at her house we were back in the car driving two hours north to her lake house in northern Wisconsin.

Activities at a lake house:
Water skiing, Jet skiing, Tubing, Boating, Fishing, Reading, Eating, Sleeping, Swimming, Canoeing, Paddleboating, Sitting, Relaxing. All done in copious amounts.

Therefore, the actual time I spent in Minnesota can only be counted as the time I was on the highway and using the bathroom in Katie’s house. For this reason alone, I feel like my road trip was not entirely successful. I mean, I didn’t even see the city I had mapquested my way to. On the other hand, I stopped in Milwaukee to see Donny on the way back and spent several hours walking around downtown, marveling at how many breweries there were or had been. Sadly, I did not drink one beer in the home of the Brewers.

My favorite part of the trip might have been thanks to a random billboard on I-94 somewhere between Milwaukee and Chicago. The Jelly Belly Tour. A thirty minute trolly ride past videos and old machinery explaining where Jelly Bellies come from followed by free bags of Jelly Bellies and all the sampling you want in the Jelly Belly store. Misshapen beans were sold for half price in large bags. My lunch was Jelly Bellies and I was on a sugar high all the way back to Fort Wayne.

No comments: