Thursday, August 17, 2006

not international enough

Things I am kicking myself for not bringing back from Japan because I thought my bags would be too heavy to lift:

* Tea: green tea, brown tea, roasted tea…
* Rice Cooker: the wonderful kind with a timer
* Curry Base
* Teapot with a built in strainer
* My recipe book
* Any and every kind of everday use Japanese sauce or spice
* Furoshiki: kindof like really big handkerchiefs, only beautiful
* Books: Japanese books, and the books I thought I didn’t want
* Incense: I want my house to smell like a Japanese temple
* Azuki beans and mochi-gome: I want a mochi sundae
* Electric hot water pot
* Tatami
* Macha powder: for making macha, macha ice cream, macha smoothies…
* My favorite notebooks

Things I want to eat, but have no way of getting ingredients for less than $100:

* Inari-zushi
* An-pan
* Mochi sundae
* Real ramen
* Unagi-don
* Curry katsu-don
* Good tofu
* Fresh tuna
* Japanese rice
* Anzu-shu and Ume-shu
* Macha frappachino

If only the Aisan markets in Bloomington weren’t so ill-equipped and the Japanese restaurants weren’t run by Koreans, I would be in a much happier place.

No comments: