Friday, November 7, 2008

wine 101: step 4

Last night I attended the last night of Springfield's Local Flavors, a program that pairs local food from local farmers with Springfield chefs and their restaurants. Yesterday's menu at Ross Isaac's included two appetizers, two entrees, and a dessert made entirely from local ingredients. Due to budget constraints, I only ordered an entree and it was superb: braised beef over a bed of rice, accompanied by spicy Asian greens and all drizzled with a fantastic sauce. I sat next to the farmer who grew the greens. I also got to taste the Creme Brulee made with local eggs, and it was to die for. I am so sad that the growing season is over and it will be difficult to get fresh vegetables for the next few months.

It will be difficult to get fresh, local fruit too, which means I'll probably slow down on the wine making during winter. But for now, I've still got a few I can put in, and so can you!

STEP 4: Clean and sterilize the fermenting vessel.
While your must is cooling down, you need to prepare your fermenting vessel. It should be washed with soap and rinsed with warm water so it is clean and there are no soap bubbles or residue. Then, I strongly suggest sterilizing it and your funnel and strainer. I do this the same way I used to sterilize the jars I made yogurt in - with boiling water.

Put your clean vessel, funnel, and strainer in your sink. Pour boiling water in or on them. You don't need to fill the vessel all the way up, maybe just 1/4 of the way. Then, holding it carefully with a towel or hot pads, swirl the boiling water around so it touches all of the insides. (THE WATER AND VESSEL WILL BE HOT. BE CAREFUL!) Dump out the water, and you're good to go!

No comments: