Friday, September 18, 2009

a is for apple

Peach season is dwindling, and apple season is upon us. The co-op is inundated with the familiar varieties (Gala, Cortland, etc) and quite a few I have never heard of (Pink Pearl is pink inside!). By far the best selling is the Honeycrisp, a fairly new apple developed at the University of Minnesota in 1991. The orchards of this region were the first to offer the Honeycrisp, and people around here are very proud of their famous local apple.

This weekend is Applefest, a festival celebrating La Crescent, MN as the "Apple Capital of Minnesota." Sam and I will be crossing the river and joining some friends this evening to celebrate the wonderful apples of the Coulee region. Somehow I've managed not to eat a Honeycrisp this year yet, but I'm sure I'll have as much as I can handle tonight!

No comments: