Saturday, September 26, 2009

oktoberfesting

Today is the first day of La Crosse's week-long Oktoberfest celebration. Although we missed the tapping of the golden keg this afternoon, Sam and I ventured out to the beer hall this evening with some friends.

I was disappointed with the lack of:
a) German music - A cover band was playing. Where's the polka?
b) Oktoberfest beer - Of maybe 15 beer choices, 3 were draft and 1 was an Oktoberfest.
c) German food - Brats from the local chain grocery don't really scream "authentic" to me.

Most of my amusement came from the t-shirts created and worn specifically for this event.
A few tag lines:

"Destroying my liver, from the bluffs to the river."
"I'd rather be a good liver than have one."
"Don't hassle me, I'm local."
"I heard I had fun."

We'll most likely head down to the Oktoberfest grounds again a few times this week, although we'll check the schedule first and find some good, authentic German celebration to join in on.

No comments: