Wednesday, November 25, 2009

a little slime won't kill you


Ever since the great slugfest of Springfield, Illinois, I have had a fascination with slugs. The west coast is a really great place to feed this fascination. In the Hoh Rainforest alone, I saw three different kinds of slugs. All of them were large and wonderfully colored. I wonder how well slugs would do as pets?

That actually reminds me of the time my family went to visit my uncle in Washington when I was in 5th grade. We went hiking in the mountains and I first discovered slugs. I thought they were awesome and I wanted to bring them home to show to my classmates. I made a little slug habitat out of a margarine tub and transported six west coast slugs to northern Indiana. I did some show and tell and then gave them to my teacher. He said he would release them into the wilderness area behind the school.

Thinking back on this, both I and my teacher were rather naive. Transporting such large garden pests from one side of the country to the other and then releasing them? Probably not the smartest thing to do.

No comments: