Friday, November 13, 2009

live from the root note


This is a really crappy photo taken last night by my non-expensive cell phone in a very dark room. You can't really tell, but it's of me and my friend Micah playing sanshin at the Root Note's Open Mic Night. I've played by myself twice, but it was much more fun to be playing with someone else. We did five songs, most of them traditional Okinawan folk songs. The last one was an Okinawan style pop song, and Micah played ukulele while I played sanshin. To me, it sounded awesome.

Open mic nights always have interesting people in attendance. For example, the guy before us on stage did beatbox with a didgeridoo. When we got off the stage, though, some guy said to me, "You guys looked real intimate on stage...like lovers." And I had no idea whether he was being sarcastic, or had some seeing problem, because we were definitely not comfortable on stage.

He came by to our table again later and, commenting about Micah and I, said,"Were you guys trying to jam? Because in the last song, she was real loose, but he kept it together. I don't think you should be jamming. It's all cool, though." I have no idea what he was trying to say. Oh well, we had a good time.

No comments: