Sunday, April 10, 2011

singin' in the rain

I was eating a cookie at the reception after my chorale concert when a thunderstorm developed directly above the building. It rained, it poured, it hailed marble-sized hail, the wind blew ferociously, and then the sun came out and a beautiful rainbow appeared. All of this happened within about seven minutes.

As I rode my bicycle home through streets flooded with water the drains couldn't yet handle, I noticed how many people were outside their houses. I ride the same route a few times a week going to choir and Ultimate, and I rarely see people. But there they were, watching the hail in their front yards melt and wondering how long til the intersections were clear again. It felt like I was riding through an entirely different neighborhood.

And now the sun is shining, the birds are chirping, and I should really check the basement for water.

No comments: