Saturday, November 5, 2011

ultimate near the ocean

Last week Friday I was in Florida for the USA Ultimate Club Championships. I was invited down as an observer, Ultimate's version of a referee. I knew going into this that I wouldn't have an excess of time to lay on the beach or wander among the palm trees, but it turns out that I had even less time than I expected.

I worked eight games over the weekend, several which where very close. And because the games were spread out to give the teams ample time to play and move fields, I never got back to my hotel before 6:00pm. Sunset is at 6:30pm, and the beach is far away.

I did make it down to the white sands once, though, with just about ten minutes to stick my toes in the water, watch the pelicans swoop down to catch some fish, and gather a few shells before it was time to go to dinner at Yoder's, an Amish restaurant. Believe me, I fully understand the irony of eating Amish food in Florida when my hometown is in Amish country, but I wasn't in charge of choosing the restaurant.

No comments: