Saturday, March 17, 2012

sake update

A little over a week ago, I finally transferred my sake from its first set of clarifying jugs to a second set.  For various reasons that mostly include being too busy and then too tired and lazy, this step happened almost a week later than it should have.  I don't think it will have any adverse affects, but Sam is skeptical.

DAY 51
Rerack to two 1-gallon jugs
Add 32 oz R-O water (16oz each)

The reracking allowed me to get the more clarified liquid off of the less that had settled out, and allowed me to adjust the alcohol content a bit by adding water.  Assuming I did most everything correct, my sake without water addition would be about 20% ABV.  I would like to drop that down to about 16%, so adding water is necessary.

The second batch is fermenting happily, and I got it in just in time.  With all the warm weather we're having, it is going to be difficult to keep the fermenting vessel cool enough, even in my basement closet.

No comments: