Monday, May 28, 2012

household cooperation


I checked out a couple of books from the library on the retriever family of dogs, including black labs.  I learned many things, but one particular thing stuck with me: retrievers need to have something to keep them busy, like something to gnaw on or sniff around, when you aren't paying attention to them.  Failure to do so could result in  chewed personal items or bad behavior.

It seems that Millie is missing this gene, however, because when we're not playing, she is perfectly content to curl up on her chair in the back porch and sleep.  When I go out to check on her, she gives me a look that says, "And do I need to pay attention now?  Because you're disturbing my nap."

This is great for me during the day, as I like to be left alone when I'm working.  She naps while I work, and then we take a walk or go play for a break, and then back to napping and working again.  I think we got a dog that really does fit our lifestyle.  Lucky us!

No comments: