Thursday, January 8, 2015

Pet stories


I want to tell you a story about my fish, but I couldn't get a good photo, so we'll start with a story about my mom's cat.

My mom's cat loves to play fetch. She has a little mouse toy that she'll bring to you and the mouse must then be thrown, preferably across the kitchen floor, which is slippery. We'll play this game for about ten throws, at which time she'll bat the mouse under the stove, likely intentionally, so that she can watch you get down on your hands and knees to fish it out.

Speaking of fish, I was changing the water in my fish bowl yesterday when I accidentally poured one of my fish down the kitchen drain with the water. Luckily, the fish was caught in the garbage disposal. Unluckily, it was the tiny of the two fish, and picking it out was pretty near impossible. We tried fingers, spoons, chopsticks, and a tea strainer with no luck.

About five minutes after the beginning of the incident, the fish was no longer flopping around, and I thought it was a goner. But the lack of flopping finally allowed me to scoop it onto a spoon. I was skeptical, but Sam told me to put it back in the fish bowl. A few seconds of listless floating, and then with a flip of fins, it was back to zipping about. And so, there are still two fish in my house.

No comments: