Thursday, October 22, 2015

It's alive!

In the spring of 2014, I bought a bunch of goldfish for my rain barrels, as usual. At the end of the summer, I saved the surviving two and overwintered them inside. 

In the spring of 2015, I put them back outside, and one promptly died. The other was not seen again, but its body did not surface.  It was assumed to have died as well.

You can then imagine my surprise when I overturned the almost empty rain barrel on Tuesday and discovered a fish flopping around in the fall leaves. I once again rescued the survivor and installed it in a corner of my house.

Millie took an interest in the swimming thing in her house this time, and whined, knocked her nose against the container, and almost dumped it over trying to play with the fish.

We'll see if it survives the winter and give it a chance at a third season in the rain barrel in 2016.

No comments: