Friday, November 4, 2016

Bathroom Remodel: Day 8

The tile is going up!

The tile was a big decision when designing the bathroom.  I wanted something that was not too busy, not too peach/pink, and not too dark.  The first tile we tentatively agreed to was pretty much all these things.

We looked at another store and I found this, which I liked quite a bit more than anything else we had seen.  It is white with blue/grey/brown streaks.  That keeps the peach/pink out and keeps it light enough without being too busy.  Perfect.
The problem when installing this tile, however, is that the tile pieces themselves are very long, but the shower area is very small.  Initially, we were going to arrange the tiles horizontally, but this meant that almost every single tile would have to be cut.  That would introduce more lines and more of a cut-up feel.  I suggested vertical alignment, and my contractor agreed that it was a good idea.  This way meant more tiles could be full size, and vertical lines theoretically make the space look taller.

After he saw this progress, Sam said he thought the horizontal would have looked better, but we're too far along for any change now.  I think I like it, so we'll see how it all ends up.

No comments: