Tuesday, February 7, 2006

design school

I'm walking down the street in downtown Kyoto. The guy in front of me is wearing his pants at the tastefully sagging position of about three inches below his hips, as is the current style. He leans over to adjust something and I expect a view of his striped boxers. But, no! Instead I am treated to the Japanese designers' answer to the age old problem of fashion versus conservatism: the sagging design is built onto a normal pair of jeans. A second waistline and pockets are sewn on at a lower position, which, when worn with a loose shirt, creates the illusion that this guy is stylishly drooping his pants.

I can't decide which is worse, really - the thought of seeing some guy's boxer shorts, or the thought that someone made and sold a pair of pants so I couldn't see some guy's boxer shorts.

No comments: