Friday, March 24, 2006

creat your own adventure

In case you didn’t know, I’m going to Thailand next week. In four days, to be exact. I’ve been planning things out using my Lonely Planet Southeast Asia on a Shoestring, but since I have had to give up the dream (for now) of spending months traveling the whole area and just settled on Thailand, I have found it a little light on information and heavy on pages.

So I went to the bookstore today and bought a travel book just for Thailand - in Japanese. It gives me a sort of perverse pleasure to think that I will be a white girl, assumed to speak English, carrying around a guide book in an Asian language. It also causes me a bit of anxiety when I realize that I could a) suddenly not remember the important Japanese characters needed to find the hostel or b) speak stuttering Thai with a Japanese accent. But I count these to be part of the adventure.

No comments: