Saturday, March 25, 2006

goodbye, my darling

It has been almost exactly one year and two months since I moved into my Japanese house on the mountainside, and despite it’s lack of insulation, random stuff in every nook and cranny, and tendency to be invaded by bugs, I have grown to like it. I appreciate the fact that at night I only hear the clackety-clack of closing shutters and the occasional barking of a nervous dog. Riding my bike up that last slope and looking up at the stars as I open my gate restores my sense of calm, no matter how crazy the day has been. I have come to know the neighborhood temples, the early morning dog-walkers, and the paper recyling man.

But tomorrow, I move away from it all.

When the chance to live in a brand new house with one of the nicest families you’ve ever met comes along, you can’t say no. No matter how worried you are about being in the middle of the not-so-quiet city, fitting in with a family lifestyle again, or relearning all the best ways to get to your favorite shopping areas, you must be thankful for the offer and humbly accept.

And so, tomorrow I will gain a new address (email me if you want it…).
Tomorrow I will enter a new family.
Tomorrow I will start living in a four story house with an elevator.

No comments: