Friday, April 7, 2006

hanami for me and you

It’s sakura season again, the time of year when Japanese people wait breathlessly for the opening of the cherry blossoms and then celebrate their short existance by gathering enthusiastically underneath the slowly swaying branches. The top three favorite hanami (flower viewing) spots in Kyoto are The Philosopher’s Path, Maruyama Park, and Arashiyama. I usually avoid the former two because I can’t walk without tripping over bus loads of tour groups, a drunken college student, or someone’s tripod. I’ve never much cared about the third because it’s someplace you take the train to, and I am in favor of biking.

Last year I lived within five minutes of the Philosopher’s Path, so I was able to go a few times in the early morning to check the progress of the blossoms and enjoy a peaceful walk through a snowy white tree tunnel. This year, I was taken along on two little hanami excursions, one to Maruyama Koen, and one to Arashiyama. The trees were beautiful, the weather perfect, and we must have hit it just right, because I only got in the way of one cameraman and didn’t have to step through anyone’s stockpile of liquor.

I’m told that if I head over to Maruyama tomorrow or Sunday, I’d be able to join in a number of college club recruiting parties, which means I’d be wading into an afternoon of eating and drinking and lounging and waiting in line for the toilet. It sounds tempting, but maybe I’ll just go down the street where there are a few small parks bursting with sakura trees waiting to be photographed.

No comments: