Tuesday, April 25, 2006

professor plum, in the lounge, with the rope

I don’t usually tell stories about my students for two reasons. One, they might find out I have this website and read about themselves here. And two, none of them have done anything particularly noteworthy. But tonight, I will tell you about Mr. Plum, an amusing student in his own way. Mr. P likes to talk. Mr. P will talk about anything, even when he doesn’t know what he’s supposed to be talking about. Like this evening, when I asked him if Japan has an equivalent to the Pledge of Allegience, he proceeded to tell me a wonderful story about how his sister is communist. Or last week, when we discussed English-speaking actors’ speech clarity, a subject which arose from a comment about guns.

A couple of weeks ago, we were sitting at our usual table in the lounge of the community center, when a man dressed in a suit approached us.

Man: Mr. Plum! I thought it was you! How’s your coffee shop going?
Mr. P: Who are you?
Man: Oh, stop joking around. You remember me, D. How’s your daughter?
Mr. P: I’m sorry, how do I know you?
Man: Really? You don’t remember me? I was your English teacher last year! You told me all about your coffee shop. I keep meaning to stop by, you know. (To me) He is so proud of his coffee shop.
Mr. P: Oh, yes. I think I remember you. Nice to see you. Goodbye.
Man: Uh, okay. Well, I’m glad to see you’re doing well. Have a good day.

As the man walks away with a confused look on his face, Mr. P turns back to me and says, “I don’t know who that was. Now, let’s continue..”

No comments: