Thursday, June 8, 2006

good morning, vietnam

The Nha Trang Tour of the Four Islands was more like a tour of the offshore reefs of four islands. We actually only set foot on one, the rest of our time being spent snorkeling, jumping off the boat’s roof into the azure waters, eating seafood, or being entertained by the staff. As the day progressed, our tour guide lost more and more of his clothing; jeans and a company shirt -> jeans -> jean shorts -> speedo. He treated us to jokes about sharks, karaoke with his team of oil jug-tambourine-bass guitar players, and Vietnamese red wine.

After my new British friends and I roasted ourselves on the beach of the third island, being that you had to pay for the shade, we returned to the boat for our afternoon snack, an amazing array of fruits: dragonfruit, pineapple, guava, payapa, and watermelon. Our Vietnamese boatmates weren’t very hungry, so we foreigners practically ate everything.

I spent the time between the boat tour and my evening bus ride by showering, having some noodles for dinner, and watching the people walk by. I made friends with a two year old boy who was having a fun time riding his little bike back and forth in front of my table.

My assigned seat was in the back of the bus, therefore, I took some travel sickness pills to keep me from puking. I should have offered some to the family behind me as well, because halfway through the ride I was awakened to their five year old daughter puking. Luckily, I am easily affected by drowsiness-causing medicine, and barely lifted an eyelid again until we arrived at the hotel.

I went right to bed again at the hotel and slept from 6am to 10am. When I finally roused myself, I had to run around reserving my next bus ride and the following plane ride. I can’t stand another 16 hour bus ride. I’ll pay the $55 to take a plane. Then I walked down the street to the Center of Hoi An Old Town, a cute little souvenier shop filled, historical district. I was tempted by every shop and every tailor. My hotel had given me the name of a good place that makes clothing, so I went there and for the mere price of $68 I am having made for me: a pair of dress pants, a dress shirt, a springy dress, and a courderoy fall coat. I probably could have bargained a bit more, but I was still under the influence of travel sickness drowsiness. Either that, or it was so incredibly hot that I could not think straight.

Hoi An is a quiet little town. There aren’t too many people out and about, and there aren’t too many foreigners either. I walked around the whole Old Town area in about two hours, stopping by at famous buildings, cultural centers, and a performance of traditional music and dance. I was considering going to the beach, but I decided I’d had enough of beaches yesterday in Nha Trang that I didn’t need any more today.

Cao lao noodles for lunch, fried wonton for dinner, and a snack of freshly pressed sugar cane juice in the hot afternoon. Hoi An has quite a bit of Japanese and Chinese influence, as was explained to me in the Trank Family Chapel, a building which incorporates all of these styles. It can also been seen in much of the food.

Anyway, I am going to go up to my air conditioned room now and relax for my tour of the My Son ruins in the morning.

No comments: