Sunday, June 18, 2006

sayonara, japan!

Packing the suitcases didn’t do it, nor did throwing out large amounts of my clothing. Going away parties didn’t do it, and neither did going away presents. It finally hit me that I am leaving Japan when I went to the au shop to get my cell phone service cancelled. A sudden wave of exhaustion momentarily paralyzed me in my chair and I didn’t want to walk back home.

I had my last dinner with The Family last night at Kyoto’s most famous sukiyaki restaurant, a place so expensive I can’t believe I was allowed to even step in the door. The food was delicious, but more importantly, the company was wonderful. I will miss this family who have done so much for me.

And now it is 5am and I am about to stuff the last of my things in my already overweight bags and head to the airport. In a mere 18 hours, I will be back in the United States.

Sayonara, Japan!

No comments: