Tuesday, August 15, 2006

bull's eye

I had lunch today with a high school friend of mine who is just about to leave Bloomington. We discussed life, especially b-town and “whatever happened to those people?” over falafel. Then she took me to Target to get a can opener.

Target in Bloomington is the mecca of all new incoming students. Of course, who wouldn’t want neon lamps and striped footstools, asian inspired decorations and notebooks with kittens on them? Target offers reasonable prices, cool fashions, and a clean environment in which fretful parents feel comfortable forking out money. I was hard-pressed not to walk into a department without hearing some sort of mother/college child argument.

Sons: “But mom, I don’t need an iron. I need an inflatable chair and matching footstool with built-in beer, I mean, cup holders.”

Mothers: “We will buy this laundry soap, and you will use it. Do you hear me young man? I’m not washing all your clothes when you come home for Thanksgiving.”

Daughters: “No, mom, it’s not neon orange. All of my stuff is neon orange. Neon pink doesn’t match, okay? I can’t have a pink clock sitting next to my orange lamp!”

I was happy to get out of “Shiny Things For You” and bike over to the Salvation Army where more experienced students were buying large picture frames for 79 cents and baking dishes for a dollar.

No comments: