Monday, November 24, 2008

wine 101: apple

Apple Wine
Date Started: October 26, 2008

Ingredients:
- apples - 4 suncrisp, 2 new york, 1 unknown
- sugar - 3.5 cups
- yeast - 1/2 tsp
- vessel - wide mouth glass gallon

Notes:
For the first time, I actually "reanimated" the yeast as per the instructions on the yeast package, meaning I let the yeast sit in warm water for 15 minutes before adding it to the must.
The must was possibly a bit too warm when I added the yeast.
After a week, the must was still not bubbling. I worried that I had killed the yeast. But I set the vessel on top of the radiator and it started going very slowly, so I think it is okay.

*UPDATE*
Date Bottled: January 12, 2009
- approx. yield - 2 Liters ( half a gallon)

*This wine is very tart. Obviously, I did not add enough sugar. But it's drinkable.

No comments: