Sunday, November 2, 2008

wine 101: initial equipment

This weekend Sam and I went to Flick-or-Treat, an ultimate tournament in Peoria, Illinois. It being Halloween weekend, the teams came in costume. Our theme - Robin Hood Men In Tights. Thanks to our whole team's willingness to play ultimate in green panty hose (tight tights!) we won the costume contest.

As it was imperative to have the correct accessories and matching theme song to succeed at ultimate this weekend, it is also necessary to have the correct equipment for making wine in your home. Here's a list of what you will need for the initial fermenting. I'll talk about equipment for bottling later.

1. Fermenting vessel: I make wine in one gallon glass containers. The best are large mouthed. I got a restaurant bulk pickle jar from someone who worked at a restaurant, but I also bought a sun tea container at the grocery store for $4. Plastic milk jugs work too, but the smaller the opening, the more difficult it is to stir in sugar.

2. Old t-shirt and rubberbands: In order to keep out fruit flies, dust, and any other general contaminant, I use an old tshirt to cover the mouth of my fermenting vessel. I hold it in place with two rubberbands. You can use any sort of cloth that will keep things out.

3. Large pot for boiling: I have a big pot I use to cook spaghetti that I also use to create the must (the juice which turns into wine). It should hold more than a gallon, because you will start with a gallon of water and add your fruit to it.

4. Fine strainer: You'll need to strain the fibers and sediment from your must as it goes from your boiling pot into your fermenting vessel. I use a tea strainer together with a strainer which fits into my funnel. The more finely you can strain it, the clearer your final product will be.

5. Various implements: Knives for cutting up your fruit, wooden spoons for stirring in the sugar and yeast, a funnel for easily pouring your must into your fermenting vessel, etc.

No comments: