Saturday, November 22, 2008

wine 101: peach

Today was the Illinois Stewardship Alliance's Meet Your Local Producer event. It was kindof a combination of the last farmer's market of the year and an informative event connecting citizens with potential local resources for local food. I questioned a few of the Illinois wineries about their fruit wine making processes and learned a little bit about how they do it. I still like my way best.

Peach Wine
Date Started: September 10, 2008

Ingredients:
- peaches - 7 of various sizes (1/4 peck?)
- sugar - 4 2/3 cups
- yeast - 1/2 tsp.
- vessel - wide mouth glass gallon

Notes:
Peaches were probably not as ripe as I would have liked, but I was impatient.
I used the sugar formula, but dropped sugar percent to 10% since the peaches weren't ripe.
First attempt at dividing the yeast package into gallon portions - 1/2 tsp of yeast per gallon.
Let yeast sit for 10 minutes on top before stirring in.

Date Bottled: October 24, 2008
- yield - 3 quarts plus a little

Re-racked: November 3, 2008

*This wine smells great, but the taste is so-so. I blame it on my impatience and therefore my use of not quite ripe peaches.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Patience is definately a virtue when it comes to winemaking. I have made a number of mistakes in my time including berries which were not prime, too much sugar (18% is abit nuts for wine) and of course bottling too soon. Since I refuse to add sulphites, I need to wait until all the yeast dies or bottle it in champagne bottles to keep my wine cellar un splattered.

http://fermentedfruits.blogspot.com