Monday, November 17, 2008

wine 101: step 13

STEP 13: Labels! (very optional)
According to federal law, a person may make 100 gallons of wine per year for individual consumption, 200 gallons per year if there are multiple people in the household. Any more than that, and you need to become an officially registered, permitted, etc. winery. I doubt anyone reading this will be making that much wine, so it really isn't a problem. But I just thought I'd let you know.

Mostly, I was thinking of this because in my enthusiasm, I like to pretend that I am a winery. In fact, I've already made up some labels to put on the bottles I give away. You may not even make enough wine to give it away, but if you do, labels are fun!

If you've been following my blog for awhile, you'll notice that Sam and I have a thing for our visiting tiger slugs. They congregate on the back porch to munch our compost we temporarily leave in a blue bowl. And so, I decided to make these slugs the mascot of my "winery," although I did not want to use the word "slug" in the name (unlike Sam and his friends who think names like "happy slug" and "slug slime wine" would be appropriate). Instead, I named my wine "Blue Bowl Cellars," which is just a bit more classy than "sloshed slug." Class did not, however, stop me from putting a picture of a slug on the label.

No comments: