Monday, June 8, 2009

market debut

A couple weeks ago, I walked through the Farmer's Market carrying my sanshin in its case. A vendor asked if I was going to play something, and that got me thinking about doing so. I talked to the Market manager and somehow got hired to be the entertainment for last Friday's market.

I was very nervous for days prior, but it all turned out well. I practiced my sewing skills to make a little banner in the Japanese style and printed up a few info sheets explaining what a sanshin is. And then I sat down and played.

The best audience members are always the children, who seem fascinated by the faux snakeskin. But I had quite a few adults stop, sit down, and listen for awhile. They asked questions, and I quite enjoyed explaining about the sanshin, Japan, and Japanese. It was a good time.

No comments: