Sunday, September 27, 2009

wine 101: rhubarb

Beginning with this rhubarb wine, I got a little more sophisticated in my winemaking. That is, I received as a gift a hydrometer, a nifty little device that measures the specific gravity of a liquid. I have been using it to determine the approximate percent alcohol of my finished wine (% alcohol is the difference between beginning and ending measurements of % alcohol). The beginning and ending measurements are recorded in my notes, along with the final calculation on how drunk my wine will get me!

Rhubarb Wine
Date Started: May 31, 2009

Ingredients:
- rhubarb - 5 stalks

Batch 1
(half gallon):
- sugar - 1.5 cups
- yeast - 1/4 tsp. (Red Star)
- beginning specific gravity: 1.065
- beginning % alcohol: 9%
- vessel - BBC growler

Batch 2
(half gallon):
- sugar - 2.5 cups
- yeast - 1/4 tsp. (Red Star)
- beginning specific gravity: 1.1110
- beginning % alcohol: 16.5%
- vessel - Herot growler

Notes:
Let yeast sit for 10 minutes on top before stirring in.

Bottled Batch 1: July 23, 2009
- ending specific gravity: 0.990
-ending % alcohol: -1.5%
*approximate % alcohol of wine = 11.5%

Bottled Batch 2: August 7, 2009
- ending specific gravity: 1.026
-ending % alcohol: 3.5%
*approximate % alcohol of wine = 13%

No comments: