Monday, December 21, 2009

queen on the sidewalk

Well, I had been doing a good job of keeping up with this blog after NaBloPoMo stopped, but then I got extra hours at work, it became Christmas present-making season, there was lots of snow, and I rediscovered some books I love. So, the blog was neglected for a bit.

But today I have a little story. I was walking down the street toward the YMCA when three fourth or fifth grade boys cross the street and begin walking on the sidewalk about a block ahead of me. I catch up to them, and one turns to me and says, "Hello." I say, "Hello." He then says casually, "You know where that music is coming from?" I quickly realize he has a phone or an mp3 player or something down his shirt and it is blasting Queen. I smile, say, "It's a mystery, isn't it?" and continue on. Ten seconds later, all three boys are belting out, "We are the Champions, my friends."

Now, this isn't all that exciting. It just made me think. When I was in fourth grade, I'm pretty sure I never talked to people on the street I didn't know. I'm fairly certain I wouldn't look any of them in the eye. "Don't Talk To Strangers" was ingrained in my little brain. But these boys initiated the conversation, chatted casually, and tried to pull a fast one on me. Kids these days...

No comments: