Thursday, July 8, 2010

herbivore

I am not experienced in gardening, but I am enthusiastic about having a garden. So when I first planted my little plot of backyard, I made some mistakes.

1. I planted too many seeds. In my previous years' experience with potted plants, only one of the ten seeds I planted would actually come up. So this year in my garden, I sowed plenty of seeds so I'd get a few plants. Well, my potting soil must have been crap, because all of my dill, parsley, chives, and sunflowers came up in the lovely composted soil, and now I have more than enough of each.

2. I didn't do a good job of thinning. Hence, I have a jumble of parsley, the sunflowers are fighting over who gets access to the sun, and the dill is attacking the basil.

But I guess too much is better than too little, and I am starting to figure out what to do with it all. Today I hung up some parsley and dill to dry, and laid out the chamomile flowers too. My laundry room smells lovely.

No comments: