Wednesday, January 5, 2011

i want arms like madonna

I've been going to a yoga class at my local YMCA every week for quite some time now. The instructor for "my" class is great because she works muscles in a progression that warms them up nicely before bringing on the tough stuff. She also has a few difficult poses that we work on every week to try to improve little by little.

Madonna demonstrates the pose I am particularly working on, which is Eka Pada, or, putting your leg behind your head.

On a usual day, I can get my leg to just above my forehead. This week, the weather was nice, I was feeling good, and I actually made it all the way back behind my head! (But not quite to the neck) Yay! I could not, however, let go of my leg or straighten my back, so I still have a long way to go. But for now, I am very happy with my yoga progress.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Oh boy...I'm gonna try that again after going running! Trying it cold, one foot can get to the top of my head, but the other one is still laughing at me for even thinking about it! That finds a new internal leg muscle there that I apparently *never* otherwise use!

Deb said...

Okay, going running in shorts because the snow is finally melting when it is only 45 degrees is awesome. But. It does not loosen you up at all!! I got my left foot behind my head, but I did not look all pristine and peaceful. The cat ran away. I think I looked more like a Bavarian pretzel than a yogi!