Wednesday, November 21, 2012

day 21: fog

In the spring of 2001, I drove back from Boston to Indiana with three of my college friends.  We took turns driving the 16-hour journey through the night.  Ten minutes into my turn in the middle of the night, it started pouring down rain.  I could see nothing but the lines on the road ten feet in front of me.  I certainly didn't have a problem staying awake for my shift, as all my powers of concentration were focused on staying between those two little lines.

That's about what it was like on our drive down to Indiana, only with fog.  Over half of our drive was accomplished within a fog cloud so thick that our visibility was limited to the lines on either side of us and the little bit of road in front of us.  So much for enjoying the scenery.

No comments: