Thursday, October 20, 2016

Bathroom Remodel: Day 4

Today is Killing Time Day.

I forgot to get a photo of the wall before it was taken out, but trust me, it needed to be done.  It sounded like my house was being ripped apart while they were doing it.  I guess it was.

They took all the plaster off, leaving just the laths.  In this state it reminded me of my grandpa's barn.


Then the drywall went up.  They said it would be dusty.  They were right.  Even the rooms that weren't being drywalled are covered in fine dust.  Luckily, Millie was on the back porch, so we still have a black dog.

When Sam and I agreed that this was a good side-project to get done while waiting for the bathroom, we forgot one major aspect.  Once you drywall something, you have to paint it.  And when you move into a house and all the walls are already painted, there is a good chance you don't have matching paint sitting around.

Suggestions for new bedroom wall color?
I said yesterday that something drastic was going to have to be done about the warped floor.  The result is a concrete-related floor-leveling product that pours onto your warped floor, naturally flows to level itself, and then hardens.  We'll have a nice, level floor in 24 hours.

As a sidenote, while checking for the correct spelling of "lath," I learned that plaster and lath was used to build houses until the 1950s, and then it was discontinued for drywall.  My contractor had a youngster helping out today who I overhead asking, "Do people still use plaster?" The answer is no, and after all the problems we've had with it, I can see why.

No comments: